Challenging a benefit decision


Different benefits have very different procedures you need to follow to dispute their decision.

It is always a good idea to seek independent advice about how best to make your case. In some cases there is a risk of losing a benefit or a part of a benefit if you challenge a decision. 

An advice agency will be able to tell you if you have a good case, how to obtain medical or other evidence and may be able to help you explain your case or represent you. 

If you need help finding an advice agency, please contact the Disability Information Scotland helpline: 0300 323 9961.

If you are unable to get help with your appeal, Disability Information Scotland can provide a more detailed Guide on how to prepare the best case possible.

You can also search the Scottish Disability Directory to find your local welfare rights service.


Supporting evidence

For disability related benefits, your GP or another professional who supports you such as a support worker, CPN, hospital doctor, physiotherapist or health visitor may be able to provide a letter confirming how your disability affects you. 


Further information and useful contacts

Age Scotland has produced a guide that explains how to dispute a range of benefit decisions. You can find the information on their website here M 17 challenge 2023.indd (

Scottish Independent Advocacy Alliance

Provide information on advocacy and a directory to find your local advocacy organisation.


Information last updated on 31 January 2024. Please note that information may be subject to change. All information is provided in good faith but Disability Information Scotland does not endorse any product or service referred to within this resource.

If you would like this information guide in another version then please contact us and we will post or email you a copy.

Money, Benefits and Grants:Frequently Asked Questions

Through our helpline we receive enquiries spanning a wide range of different topics. Here is a selection of those most asked:

Can I get a reduction of Vehicle Excise Duty?

Am I entitled to benefits?

What help is there with energy costs?

Am I eligible for VAT relief on disability equipment?

Back to top