Education Trusts & Grants


Extra financial support to help with the costs of further and higher education may be available from a trust fund. Some of them require applications to be made by a third party. It should be noted that all grants are discretionary and subject to available funding. Grants can be awarded for materials, resources and services that are not available through statutory funding. Examples include computer equipment, books and childcare. 

Funding sources

Scottish International Education Trust

Provides grants to Scottish people who wish to take their studies or training further in order to start a career. Preference is given to postgraduates.

Lawrence Atwell’s Charity

Offer grants towards vocational training and ‘first step’ qualifications to help young people from low-income backgrounds become qualified for work.

The Student Health Association Assistance Fund

Helps students with disabilities to keep up with their studies. The maximum amount of each award is £500 and students must be involved in higher education on a full-time or nearly full-time basis.

Linking Education and Disability (Lead) Scotland

LEAD is a charity that can provide computer equipment, training and a volunteer tutor to help link you to a suitable course and support you on your learning journey.

The Snowdon Trust

Provide grants to physically disabled and sensory impaired students studying in further or higher education in the UK. They can offer financial support for items that statutory funding will not cover, such as: human help – sign language interpreters; computer equipment; adapted or additional accommodation; travel costs.

Kidney Care UK

Offer one-off grants to help with the cost of university or college fees, or the cost of materials and equipment. The grants are given to people with kidney disease of UK nationality. Applications should be submitted by a third party such as a renal social worker or member of the patient’s renal team.

Dyslexia Action Learning Fund

Provides grants to pay for specialist tuition at Dyslexia Action Centres for those with specific learning and literacy difficulties.

NACC Crohn’s and Colitis UK

Offers grants of up to £500 to people between 16 and 25 years old with Inflammatory Bowel Disease (IBD) that have additional support needs relating to their education. Funding is available for course related resources and materials and additional cost of university or college such as an en suite room.

Holywood Trust

Provides grants to young people aged between 15 and 25, who are resident in Dumfries and Galloway. Preference is given to people with health conditions or experiencing social disadvantage and can include a financial assistance towards college or university expenses.
Tel: 01387 269 176

Miss Gertrude Muriel Pattullo Advancement Award Scheme

Offers support to people with a physical impairment between the ages of 16 and 25 residing in Dundee and Angus.
Tel: 01382 229 222

Webster and Davidson Mortification for the Blind

Offers financial assistance to blind and partially sighted people to support their learning and appreciation of music.
Tel: 01382 229 111

Information last updated on 4 March 2021. Please note that information may be subject to change. All information is provided in good faith but Disability Information Scotland does not endorse any product or service referred to within this resource.

If you would like this information guide in another version then please contact us and we will post or email you a copy.

Education, Training and Employment, Money, Benefits and Grants:Frequently Asked Questions

Through our helpline we receive enquiries spanning a wide range of different topics. Here is a selection of those most asked:

Can I get a reduction of Vehicle Excise Duty?

Am I entitled to benefits?

What help is there with energy costs?

Am I eligible for VAT relief on disability equipment?

Education, Training and Employment, Money, Benefits and Grants:Latest News & Blogs

View all news & blogs
Back to top