Grants and support


When a person has been turned down for statutory funding, financial assistance and other forms of support are often available from grant-giving organisations. This guide includes some general information on a range of Scottish and UK based trust funds. Some of them require applications to be made by a third party such as a social worker or advice professional. It should be noted that all grants are discretionary and subject to available funding.

Grants to help disabled people

Elizabeth Finn Care


One-off grants are available towards needs such as car expenses, household items, house repairs and adaptions and specialist equipment.


Applications should contact the charity to enquire about whether they are eligible, either via telephone or the website. If eligible an application form will be issued. This may be submitted either directly by the individual or through a third party.


Tel: 0208 834 9200
Address: Elizabeth Finn Care, Hythe House, 200 Shepherd’s Bush Road, London, W6 7NL

Independence at Home


Provides financial help to people living at home who are substantially disabled or severely long term ill, towards any expenses which is not covered by statutory provision and which is related to the needs of a person living at home with a disability.

Applications may be made to the charity on behalf of the client, by a third party (usually a Social Worker or Occupational Therapist). For more information on how to apply, see the Independence at Home website linked above.


Tel: 020 8427 7929

Grants to help disabled children

Buttle UK Small Grants Programme


Provides essential items for children and young people whose development, health and well-being are at risk. It offers basic items, that we all take for granted but many families in poverty are living withough, such as a bed, a cooker, a fridge-freezer or a washing machine.


Tel: 0141 778 2839
Address: Buttle UK, PO Box 2081, Glasgow, G32 2BR

Challenger Children’s Fund


Provide grants for physically disabled children under 18 years, in Scotland. Funding is provided to meet a specific need not covered by statutory sources e.g clothing, apparatus, equipment, household appliances, furniture, adaptions to home or garden.


Are normally made through a third party. Parents can contact the organisation directly.


Tel: 07531 580 414
Address: Suite 353, 44/46 Morningside Road, Edinburgh, EH10 4BF

Benevolent Funds

Many large employers, Trade Associations, Professional Bodies and Trade Unions have benevolent funds which are open to applications from ex-employees and their dependents. Members of the armed forces or veterans may be eligible for help from the The British Legion or SSAFA.

Further Information and useful contacts

There are more available and the Disability Information Scotland helpline can find further information for you. Call us on 0300 323 9961

For information on financial assistance for holidays, see our Holiday and Respite Grants information guide

Information last updated on 5 June 2020. Please note that information may be subject to change. All information is provided in good faith but Disability Information Scotland does not endorse any product or service referred to within this resource.

If you would like this information guide in another version then please contact us and we will post or email you a copy.

Money, Benefits & Grants:Frequently Asked Questions

Through our helpline we receive enquiries spanning a wide range of different topics. Here is a selection of those most asked:

How can I appeal a PIP decision?

How will PIP affect my ability to use the Motability Scheme?

Am I eligible for a reduction on Vehicle tax?

How can I find out what benefits might I be eligible for?

What support is available to help keep warm this winter?

Am I eligible for VAT relief on disability equipment?

Back to top