Frequently Asked Friday

#frequentlyaskedfriday is a new campaign from Disability Information Scotland that aims to share bite sized information on disability related topics that we often get asked about. Twice a month, on a Friday we will post a frequently asked question and an answer on our Facebook and Twitter pages. They will also be featured in our monthly e-newsletter.

To keep up to date on our #frequentlyaskedfriday sign up to for monthly e-newsletter or follow us on Twitter or Facebook.

1. ‘I’m struggling getting in and out of my bath, is there any support that I can get?”

Often we get individuals phoning because they are struggling with getting in and out of their bath. The first step would be to contact…

2. “I am going on holiday and I would like to hire a mobility scooter or wheel chair when I am there”

If you are staying within the UK you can search for a Shop Mobility local to where you are going. Another option would be to search for local mobility equipment providers…..

3. ‘I would like to apply for a blue parking badge, where do I start?’

The quickest and easiest way to apply for a blue badge is on-line. You will be asked a few questions to see if you may be eligible before applying…..

4. ‘Am I eligible for VAT relief on disability equipment?’ 

In general, disabled people do not have to pay VAT on goods and services that are designed/ or adapted solely for use by disabled people. These goods and services are often called ‘zero-rated’ or ‘eligible for VAT relief’…..

5. How can I get a disabled parking space outside my house?’

To get a disabled parking space outside of your house, you should contact your local council to apply for a disabled parking space. To apply, you must meet the following conditions…..

6. What can I do if I feel that I have been discriminated against?

If you feel you have been treated unfairly there a number of steps that you can take including speaking to an advisor at an advice agency such as your local citizens advice bureau or you can call the Equality Advice Support Service (EASS) who can advise and assist people on issues relating to equality and human rights.

7. “How can I get a RADAR key?”

The National Key Scheme (NKS), often referred to as RADAR keys, offer disabled people independent access to locked public accessible toilets around the country….

8. “How can I search for a local disability support group?”

Local and community based sources of support can be fantastic places to let you know a range of other support services in your area.

9. “What support is available to help keep warm this winter?”

Over the past few weeks we have noticed a rise in calls from people asking what support is available for them to help heat their home. At this time of year fuel costs increase and it can be difficult to keep yourself warm and cosy!

10. “How can I find out what benefits might I be eligible for?”

A good first step to see whether you are eligible to apply for certain benefits is to have a ‘benefits check’.
For a detailed calculation that includes an estimate of how much you might get

11. ‘How do I get a concessionary bus pass?’

Concessionary travel gives free or discounted trips on public transport to eligible disabled people and older people living in Scotland. This information guide outlines the main travel concessions available, eligibility and how to apply…

12. ‘Is there a quick and easy way I can search for accessible places to visit in Scotland?’

In celebration of Disabled Access Day taking place on the 3rd of March, we decided to dedicate this month’s FAQ to accessibility…

13. Are there any changes to the benefit system this year?

From April 2017 there are a number of changes being made to the benefits system.
Please note that the information provided below is limited. If you have any concerns regarding benefit change

14. Can I use my Blue Badge in Europe?

The Blue Badge scheme is for drivers or passengers with severe mobility problems. The scheme provides a range of on-street parking concessions enabling Blue Badge holders to park closer to where they need to go.

15. ‘Am I eligible for a reduction on Vehicle tax?’

You might be eligible for a reduction or exemption on vehicle tax if you are disabled and meet the eligibility criteria. The vehicle must be registered in the disabled person’s name or nominated driver’s name and must only be used for the disabled person’s personal needs.

16. ‘How will PIP affect my ability to use the Motability Scheme?’

The Motability Scheme enables disabled people to lease a car, powered wheelchair or scooter. For existing Scheme customers, their eligibility to remain on the Motability Scheme will depend on the outcome of their assessment for PIP.

17. ‘How can I update my organisations details on your Scottish Disability Directory?’

The Scottish Disability Directory is the only directory of its kind in Scotland. It provides access to information on thousands of disability organisations and support groups, both local and national.
To update your organisations details then please download and fill in the document below or email us and we can send you out a copy.

18. ‘How can I appeal a PIP decision?’

It is always a good idea to seek advice when challenging decisions.  In some cases there is a risk of losing a benefit if you challenge a decision.

19. ‘How can I get an adaption made to my house?’

Housing adaptations can reduce the risk of accidents at home and promote independence. If you are disabled, or someone in your home is disabled, you may get help with a wide range of adaptations to your home

//global site tag