To provide clear information and advice for seniors, their families and carers.
FirstStop provides support and advice for seniors as well as an information service for carers covering care, housing, finance and rights, both through the website and their telephone Advice Line.
Advice given includes:-
Care and support for older people – in their own home, in specialist housing or in a care home
Housing – services to help them ‘stay put’ successfully; information about all the options if they choose to move somewhere more suitable
Finance – including paying for care, benefits and allowances, Council and NHS funding, insurances, financial planning and financial products
Rights – the law; standards they should expect; and how to get what they are entitled to, including advocacy services that can support them.
The website includes:
- Explanations of how services for older people work; how to get the help or care you need; what State services and financial support are available; how to choose between housing options – from adapting your home to moving to special housing or a care home.
- A comprehensive library of reading materials about care and housing for older people.
- A directory of local services from ‘handypersons’ to lunch clubs to home care providers.
- A directory of UK care homes for older people, including links to inspection reports.
- A directory of all UK retirement housing, including sheltered, assisted living, extra care, close care, Abbeyfields, almshouses and retirement villages.
Elderly Accommodation Counsel
89 Albert Embankment