How can I get an adaptation made to my house?

Housing adaptations can increase your independence and reduce the risk of an accident at home

If you or someone in your home are disabled you may qualify for help with adaptations such as:

  • replacing a bath with a level access shower.
  • making it easier to get into and out of the house by widening doors or making a ramp.
  • fitting lower worktops in a kitchen.

Smaller adaptions can also be made, such as:

  • fitting a grab rail
  • provision of a shower chair

In most cases, as a starting point you should contact your local Social Work Department (or NHS Highland in Highland) and ask for an Assessment of Needs, which is usually done by an Occupational Therapist (O.T.).

For further information see our Disabled Home Adaptations Information Guide.

Back to top