Care and Repair
We were visited this week by Care and Repair Edinburgh to update us on their current services. They make sure older and disabled people are able to live independent and satisfying lives at home through a range of practical services that support their safety and wellbeing in their own homes.
• Small repairs in people’s homes e.g. fit grab rails, repair door locks, plane doors etc.
• Keysafes fitted to speed home return and prevent delayed discharge from hospitals
• Handyperson e.g. change lightbulbs, build furniture, hang curtains or tune televisions
• Provide assistance to make adaptations to enable people to stay in their own home
• Referrals to a tight band of Trusted Traders e.g electricians, painters, plumbers etc.
Age Scotland, took over ownership of Care and Repair Edinburgh in June 2018. The charity hopes to build on the excellent work undertaken by Care and Repair Edinburgh and expand the service to further assist clients who want to live independently in their homes as long as possible.
Care and Repair across Scotland
Care and Repair services are run by councils across Scotland. Care and Repair can provide help and advice on issues such as:
• Major Repairs
• Small Repairs
• Disability adaptions
• Home Safety
• Handyman service (including changing lights and hanging curtains)
Care and Repair do not employ tradesmen themselves but can help with applying for grants, identify and get price of contractors. Some Care and Repair can send volunteers to help with DIY and technical work, including small repairs and adaptions.
Some Care and Repair services can also offer services to help people with dementia, home safety checks and help with hospital discharge.
To find a Care and Repair service in your area please follow the link: http://www.careandrepairscotland.co.uk/office-locations.html