Disabled Home Adaptations

10. What if I want to do the adaptations myself?

  • If you do not own your home, you will need to write to the council, housing association or private landlord to ask for permission first.
  • Your landlord ‘cannot withhold their consent unreasonably’, but they can make certain conditions.

Some building work to a disabled person’s private home may also be VAT exempt. Call the VAT helpline for more information on 0300 200 3700 or contact us for a copy of our Claiming VAT exemption on disability products.

You can also check out our information guide on VAT exemption Claiming VAT exemption on disability products PDF version.