Disabled Home Adaptations

7. Private tenants

If you are a private tenant you can:

  • Contact your local authority for an assessment to see whether the changes needed to your home meet the conditions for essential work.
  • You must ask for permission from your landlord.
  • You should also say if you intend to put the property back to its original state when you leave.
  • Your landlord must not ‘unreasonably refuse to give their consent’ (ie must not say no without very good reasons.)
  • If your landlord does say no, they must tell you in writing why they have said no.