Disabled Home Adaptations
7. Private tenants
If you are a private tenant you can:
- Contact your local authority for an assessment to see whether the changes needed to your home meet the conditions for essential work.
- You must ask for permission from your landlord.
- You should also say if you intend to put the property back to its original state when you leave.
- Your landlord must not ‘unreasonably refuse to give their consent’ (ie must not say no without very good reasons.)
- If your landlord does say no, they must tell you in writing why they have said no